Monday, January 6, 2014

La Belle et la Bête

by Mercer Mayer
As a child, I was read Marianna Mayer's beautiful telling of the Beauty and the Beast story. Her husband, Mercer Mayer, illustrated the book with gorgeous paintings that greatly influenced the way I imagined the story in my mind ever-after.

by Mercer Mayer
As an adolescent, I watched the 1946 Jean Cocteau film version of this French tale, encountering a new set of visual vocabulary with which to understand and imagine it. In the film, the dark corners of Beast's enchanted castle throw black shadows across the pale youthful face of Beauty, engaging simultaneously the magical-myterious and the realistic-dangerous elements of coming-of-age. At 14 years-old, I felt deeply the struggle between acting upon instinct and acting out of obedience; the benefits and pitfalls of acting solely out of either instinct or obedience are exemplified by the main characters. 

I also watched Beauty attempt to establish a safe barrier between herself and her companion--a friend with whom she lived and who daily provoked the idea of marriage and thus physical union. As the Beast's voice grew more gentle to Beauty's ear, she found it increasingly more difficult to refuse experimenting with his touch and exploring the reaches of her love for him. Here is the scene from the film I think best attests to these feelings: 


I love how here we see Beast's ears and eyes become riveted instinctually upon a helpless doe, in the middle of conversation with Beauty. Although Beast struggles to tame his animal impulses and appear to Beauty as a "civilized" and gentle creature, he unwittingly reveals the continued influence of the impulses of a predator. Beauty, then, goes to the fountain and invites him to drink water from her hands, reestablishing his domesticity and allowing herself to feel the touch of his lips, even if only on her hands.

Yesterday, my husband and I came across the trailer for a brand new film version of the story. The costumes look fabulous, and the highly evolved CGI technology promises to bring to life a particularly interesting Beast...


The film is scheduled to debut on February 12, 2014 in France. Although I'm not sure when it is set to arrive in American cinemas, I look forward to seeing this latest iteration of the beautiful 18th century tale.

For more information on the history of Beauty and the Beast and its many literary renderings, please see Terri Windling's engaging article on the subject.

***
What are your favorite tales? What are the tales that have stayed with you through the years?

Until next time- keep rustling!
***

UPDATE: Just found a great post over at Once Upon a Blog on this film! She has some really nice screen grabs of the trailer as well as the video of the film's theme song. Check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, cool! I like how the beast in the 1946 film fell into the 20% listening zone, and suffered for it.

    One of my favorite tale is of Prometheus, the titan who stole fire to give humans a bit more to work with in coping with the arbitrary Olympians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading the D'Aulaires "Book of Greek Myths" - another book from my childhood whose illustrations were forever etching into my memory!

      Delete
  2. I loved this movie and story when I was young too -- as an adult I have come to favor all the beastly bride and bride-groom type fairy tales -- they speak so well to the complications of marriage and adulthood. And perhaps, the way marriage transforms us. Do you remember "East of the Sun West of The Moon" -- also illustrated by Mercer Mayer? The groom who was trapped in the form of a bear? I also love the way Mayer's heroines, contrary to the usual blonde beauty are always dark haired -- and in the Beauty and Beast illustrations share certain attributes (Beauty's coloring and her nails for instance) that show them -- even from the beginning, -- strangely matched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The illustrations for East of the Sun, West of the Moon also became a deeply rooted part of my mythic imagination. I hadn't realized before the visual way in which Mayer connected Beauty and Beast, but it's so true! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I had some moments and followed the trail from Midori's blog back to yours - I love it! What an awesome name - and mission. And thank you for the shout out here. As for me - it's transformation tales - ones that not only transform the outside but the inside too, so beastly brides and grooms are tales I'm drawn to as well. I really love most of HCA's The Marsh King's Daughter - the bit at the end irks me greatly but the initial premise and struggle seem to be key motifs in my life. I'd love to retell it to my satisfaction one day. Another love is Jorinde & Joringel - having to recognize someone you love while they wear another form... tough stuff but so crucial. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so happy to see you stopped by here! I love your blog!
      Such great tales you've mentioned - I hadn't heard of Jorinde and Joringel but, thanks to the Internet, found a version of it and loved reading it! xoxo

      Delete